What are The Top Search Engines for 2018?

We are all familiar with Google and Bing as search engines but did you know that other small search engines serve millions of online queries daily? What are the top search engines for 2018?

We share a list of the 10 most popular search engines in the world today. It may be a shock to some that there are more search engines out there other than Google.

Google may be the largest and the best search engine right now but this does not mean that there are no contenders to the throne.

Although none of these smaller players are ready yet to take over nor pose a threat. The gap is quite large to overcome with Google accounting for 75% of overall web searches while the rest of the pack shares the remaining 25% of the market.

Here is a list of the top search engines today:

Google

No need to introduce the king of the hill. The search engine giant stays in first place with a whopping 66% lead from second placer Bing.

According to reports from netmarketshare, 74.52% of searches were done by Google and only 7.98% by Bing.

Google is also lording it over the mobile and tablet search engine market with an industry topping 93%!

This is why SEO experts need to learn more about how Google works and adapt to their guidelines when it comes to SEO strategies and tactics.

Bing

Bing is Microsoft’s failed attempt to challenge Google for search engine supremacy. Despite their marketing efforts, they were not able to topple the current leader in search engines.

Launched in June of 2009, Bing provides search services for web, video, image, and map.

In July 2009, Microsoft and Yahoo also entered into a partnership where Bing would power Yahoo! Search.

This deal was changed in 2015 as Yahoo was only required to use Bing for “majority” of searches.

Bing is the second largest desktop search engine in the US.

Yahoo! Search

Majority of Yahoo searches are powered by Bing since 2015. It is still the most popular email provider and is in fourth place when it comes to search queries.

The web search engine is owned by Yahoo and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California.

In November 2014, Mozilla entered into a five-year partnership with Yahoo as their default search engine for Firefox browsers in the US.

Ask.com

Used to be known as Ask Jeeves, Ask.com gets around 0.05% of search engine market share. This platform is based on a question and answer format where the majority of the questions are answered by other users.

Answers can also be provided in the form of polls. The search engine has general search services but the results were not as good as Google or Bing search results.

AOL.com

This old time favorite site is still among the top 10 search engines we have today. It has a market share of 0.04% and includes many popular sites like techcrunch.com, engadget.com, and huffingtonpost.com.

Baidu

Baidu was launched in 2000 and is now the most popular search engine in China. It is experiencing a steady increase in search engine market share based on Wikipedia.

Baidu is serving billions of search queries per month. It holds the number 4 position in Alexa Rankings.

WolframAlpha

This is a different type of search engine. They are known as a Computational Knowledge Engine which can give you data and facts for some topics.

It can also do all sorts of calculations as well. If you type in “car loan 2018” the search engine will calculate your loan amount, interest paid, and fees based on some assumptions.

DuckDuckGo

This search engine has a clean user interface, and it does not track users which is an advantage it has over other search engines.

There are only a few ads, and the engine features a one-page result only.

It’s possible that some of the good features of duckduckgo will be copied by other search engines. With an infusion of capital, this search engine can give other small players a run for their money.

Internet Archive

Archive.org can be used to find out how a website looked since 1996. It is a useful tool if you want to trace the history of a domain and how it has evolved over the years.

Yander.ru

Based on Alexa Rankings, Yandex.ru belongs to the top 30 most popular sites on the net.

Yandex operates the biggest search engine in Russia with around 65% market share locally.

They are a technology company that builds intelligent products powered by machine learning.

Leave a Reply